Here’s a short video I shot of the new green homes down on Longview Road in South Austin. Las Casas Verdes bill themselves as the first solar middle-income neighborhood in Austin, though I’m not sure if SOL Austin would agree.
That said, colour me impressed by the specifications:
- 3kW Solar PV panels for each home
- Passive solar design – overhangs, heat chimneys, optimal orientation
- rainwater collection on a significant scale -not just a couple of rain barrels and a gutter
- Unique designs for each of twenty 1800sqft homes
- The Walkscore of 37 isn’t great, but the homes are on a bus route
- Pending 5 star rating in the Austin Energy Green Building Program
The homes are available to be built right now, of the two in the MLS, one is under contract. You can see more details on the homes at these Las Casas Verdes listings, or give me a call if you want to check them out.
Garreth Wilcock is an Austin EcoBroker® with Keller Williams Realty.